CRCB: Chapter 2: DEVELOPING College VOCABULARY
Vocabulary skills are among the most important comprehension strategies you can learn. By increasing your vocabulary, you increase your understanding of textbook information. A rich vocabulary:
· allows you access to many types of reading material.
· enhances your academic abilities.
· increases your chances of getting the job of your choice.
Although no one knows the meaning of every word, or interrupts his or her reading to look up every unfamiliar word in a dictionary, using the simple strategies presented in this chapter will help you figure out and remember the meaning of new words. These strategies include:
· using context clues
· using word analysis
· writing in your textbook
· creating word maps
· understanding denotation and connotation
· using the Card Review System (CRS)
· using new vocabulary daily when you talk and write